Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Haywards Heath Town FC app


First Team - Match centre

Haywards Heath Town FC
Burgess Hill Town FC
C Saunders (53')
Full time
P Harding (4'), A Ennir (11')
Wed 27 Feb 19:15 - Cup Attendance 237

Amex Dream Over But A Great Ride


Heath finally exited the Sussex Senior Cup to Bostik Premier side Burgess Hill Town

Heath made a slow start to the match and were behind on 4 minutes through Pat Harding firing in at the far post unchallenged they then doubled their lead on 11 minutes with a fine strike from Aiden Enver. Heaths best chance of the half came from Alex Laing who's free kick struck the foot of the post mid way through the half.

The second half saw Heath up the pace and really take the game to their neighbours and it was no surprise when Callum Saunders equalised steering in a ball across from Karly Akehurst. Sean Roddy made an amazing tackle to prevent a definite goal at the other end as Hillians looked to play on the break. Heath couldn't convert a goal mouth scramble and when Jamie Weston's free kick clipped the crossbar it really summed up Heath's night.

Despite disappointment the players should be proud of the achievements so far this season and still have a cup final to look forward to in May.

Heath Vs Burgess Hill by Grahame Lehkyj
12 photos

Full Report below from the Mid Sussex Times Sports Editor Mark Dunsford

Burgess Hill Town will face either Bognor Regis Town or Brighton u23s in the Sussex Senior Cup final after they beat Haywards Heath Town 2-1 at Culver Road.. It was a pulsating game between the Mid Sussex rivals and a great advert for the competition. The heavy mist did it's best to disrupt proceedings causing two delays.

But in the end two goals in the opening 10 minutes from the Hillians gave them the victory. They now look forward to a trip to The Amex in May.

Both sides put out strong sides with Jamie Weston returning returning for Heath after spending most of the season at Balcombe in the Mid Sussex League. Both sides have had a long wait since they had last reached the final of the prestigious competition - Haywards Heath’s last appearance in the final was some 61 years ago, when they triumphed 2-1 over Worthing at The Goldstone Ground in 1956, while the Hillians' last appearance in the final ended in disappointment as they suffered a 2-1 defeat to Hastings Town at the Broadfield stadium in 1998.

Heath were the form side coming into the game but it was the Bostik Premier side - and their fans - who started the brightest and they took a fourth minute lead. After forcing a corner, Aaron Smith-Joseph's deflected cross found Pat Harding at the far post and he smashed home from close range.

There was a short delay after as Josh Spinks caught a high foot from Dan Beck and the Heath defender needed a bandage to give him that Terry Butcher look. The Hillians had a dream start and on 10 minutes it got even better. Smith-Joseph was involved again as he laid the ball off to Aiden Enver, who teed himself up beautifully and volleyed home from the edge of the area. It was a wonderful strike.

Chances were few and far between for Heath but their first real effort came on 20 minutes when Callum Saunders sensed a repeat of his wonder strike against Three Bridges a couple of weeks back - but this time his free kick missed the target. It could have - and maybe should have - been 3-0 by the 27th minute with Harding and Tom Cadman missing good chances. And the closest Heath came was on 28 minutes when Alex Laing's crisply-struck free kick cannoned back off the upright.

Heath started to get on top as the half went on and Laing and Andrew Dalhouse both had chances but it finished 2-0 at half-time. Shaun Saunders replaced Dalhouse with Melford Simpson at half time and he almost had an immediate impact when he laid off to Karly Akehurst, but the midfielder's strike went just wide. But Heath were soon back in the game when on 52 minutes Saunders scored. Sean Roddy's cross was headed down by Simpson to Akehurst, who laid off to Saunders to slot home. It was a goal they deserved.

Heath were on top but it was the Hillians who should have got the next goal when Beck sent Smith-Joseph through. He round Heyburn but Roddy produced a perfectly-timed tackle to deny the frontman. It was back to end-to-end and that was no more evident when in the space of 30 seconds Heath could have equalised - and I am not sure how they didn't - after a goalmouth scramble before Cheick Toure forced a corner at the other end. It was a full blooded affair and it was a surprise it took until the 73rd minute for the referee to get his book out - Spinks getting a yellow for a late challenge on Enver. Saundes had a great chance to equalise on 78 minutes when Simpson laid off to him, but his clean strike was just too high.

A heavy mist was lurking for most of the game and it decided to descend on the pitch with five minutes to go and the referee decided it was to heavy to carry on and stopped the game. Luckily it cleared (sort of) enough for the game to carry on. It was unfortunate as it disrupted the flow of what was a pulsating game and the game finished 2-1 to the

Hillians. Heath: Heyburn, Roddy, Weston, Louis, Cooper (c), Spinks, Saunders, Akehurst, Dalhouse (Simpson), Napper, Laing (McCreadie). Subs: McCreadie, Simpson, Finney, Rowe, Gray-Branford.

Hillians: James, Bennett, Cadman, Wilson, Toure, Richmond, Appau (Sargent), Enver, Harding, Beck (c), Smith-Joseph. Subs: Choules, Sargent, Tuck, Short, Ryder.

Sean Roddy

Player of the Match

Sean Roddy

Key moments

Goal Pat Harding scores for Burgess Hill Town FC
Goal Aiden Ennir scores for Burgess Hill Town FC
Goal Callum Saunders scores for Haywards Heath Town FC

Videos and photos

Heath Vs Burgess Hill by Grahame Lehkyj
12 photos


View 0 new events
81:00 Sub On
Farrell Ryder is substituted on for Burgess Hill Town FC
81:00 Sub Off
Aaron Smith-Joseph is substituted off for Burgess Hill Town FC
74:00 Yellow Card
Josh Spinks is yellow carded for Haywards Heath Town FC
67:00 Sub Off
Alex Laing is substituted off for Haywards Heath Town FC
67:00 Sub On
Trevor McCreadie is substituted on for Haywards Heath Town FC
55:00 Sub Off
Declan Appau is substituted off for Burgess Hill Town FC
55:00 Sub On
Steve Sargent is substituted on for Burgess Hill Town FC
53:00 Goal 1 - 2
Callum Saunders scores for Haywards Heath Town FC
53:00 Assist
Karly Akehurst makes an assist for Haywards Heath Town FC
45:00 Sub Off
Andrew Dalhouse is substituted off for Haywards Heath Town FC
45:00 Sub On
Melford Simpson is substituted on for Haywards Heath Town FC
11:00 Goal 0 - 2
Aiden Ennir scores for Burgess Hill Town FC
4:00 Goal 0 - 1
Pat Harding scores for Burgess Hill Town FC
End of period
Player of the Match
Sean Roddy is awarded player of the match for Haywards Heath Town FC
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Haywards Heath Town FC
  • Burgess Hill Town FC
  • 0
  • Pat Harding Goal 4:00'
  • Aiden Ennir Goal 11:00'
  • Andrew Dalhouse Sub Off 45:00'
  • Melford Simpson Sub On 45:00'
  • Callum Saunders Goal 53:00'
  • Karly Akehurst Assist 53:00'
  • Declan Appau Sub Off 55:00'
  • Steve Sargent Sub On 55:00'
  • Alex Laing Sub Off 67:00'
  • Trevor McCreadie Sub On 67:00'
  • Josh Spinks Yellow Card 74:00'
  • Aaron Smith-Joseph Sub Off 81:00'
  • Farrell Ryder Sub On 81:00'

Team selection

Heyburn, Josh Heyburn, Josh
Roddy, Sean Roddy, Sean
Cooper, Nathan Cooper, Nathan
Laing, Alex Laing, Alex
Spinks, Josh Spinks, Josh
Weston, Jamie Weston, Jamie
Saunders, Callum Saunders, Callum
Louis, Kane Louis, Kane
Napper, Byron Napper, Byron
Dalhouse, Andrew Dalhouse, Andrew
Akehurst, Karly Akehurst, Karly
Burgess Hill Town FC
  • 1. Josh James
  • 2. Charlie Bennett
  • 3. Thomas Cadman
  • 4. Michael Wilson
  • 5. Cheick Toure
  • 6. James Richmond
  • 7. Declan Appau
  • 8. Aiden Ennir
  • 9. Pat Harding
  • 10. Daniel Beck
  • 11. Aaron Smith-Joseph
  • 12. Daniel Choules
  • 13. . .
  • 14. Steve Sargent
  • 15. Josh Tuck
  • 16. Josh Short
  • 17. Farrell Ryder


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors