Club Sponsor - Barratt Homes
Club Sponsor - Porsche Centre Mid-Sussex
Club & Player Sponsor - M Blake Tree and Landscaping Services
Club Sponsor - Tom Graves Commercial Property Agency
Haywards Heath 4-2 Lewes

Haywards Heath 4-2 Lewes

By Jonny Drake
30th July
Share via

Haywards Heath Town beat Lewes FC 4-2 in a close and well-matched tie at Hanbury Stadium.

Heath came from behind twice before taking control of their pre-season game against higher league opposition thanks to two late goals in quick succession that knocked the wind out of the visitors.

Lewes took the lead early thanks to Jordy Mongoy’s clever header and looked in control until Callum Saunders levelled to game with a calmly taken penalty with just 20 minutes gone.

Lewes retook the lead just before halftime when Ola Adeyemo smashed home from very close range.

Lewes looked in control until three goals in eight minutes changed the game. Jack Hartley, Andy Dalhouse and Lloyd Cotton all scored to give Heath a comfortable cushion at the end of the game.

Lewes started the brighter of the two sides and took the lead with just four minutes gone.
The electric Dayshonne Golding found space on the right-hand side to cross it to Mongoy whose curling header, looped into the top right corner of Luke Glover’s goal leaving him with no chance.

Mongoy almost had a second on the quarter-hour mark but his close-range shot was well saved by Glover.

Down the other end, Heath’s own Ryan Warwick found himself with a scoring opportunity, but his shot lacked power and was easily picked up by Lewes keeper Nathan Stroomberg.

Heath regained possession quickly and Saunders hit the post from 12 yards, the ball rebounding back out to the feet of Trevor McCreadie who was fouled in the Lewes penalty area. Saunders stepped up to take the penalty and casually chipped the ball into the top right corner to level the scores.

Lewes fought back as striker Ola Adeyemo failed to score twice in quick succession, first hitting the post before having his own looping header well cleared off the Glover’s goal-line.

With ten first-half minutes left to play, Lewes saw another chance go begging as Stefan Ilic was unable to convert Golding’s cross at full stretch.

Eventually, Lewes’ pressure was rewarded as they took the lead again just seconds before halftime. Mongoy broke free on the left side and chipped Glover only for his shot to be smashed in on the line by Adeyemo.

The second half began slowly, it took until the 61st minute for either side to create a chance. Lewes substitute Dylan Gifford went on a fantastic run from right back all the way to the Heath by-line however he couldn’t manage a successful cross, sending the ball out for a Heath goal kick.

Ten minutes later Heath had their first clear chance when Hartley’s close-range shot was deflected wide following a free kick. However, from the resulting corner Hartley found himself in space and his low shot hit the back of the Lewes net to equalise for the second time in the game.

Just five minutes later, Heath took the lead. Dalhouse slid in at the back post to convert a low cross. This seemed to rattle the visitors who started to lose their rhythm and it wasn’t long before Heath made it four. Lewes failed to clear their lines from a corner and the ball rebounded in off Heath captain Cotton.

Share via