Club Sponsor - Barratt HomesClub Sponsor - Porsche Centre Mid-SussexClub & Player Sponsor - M Blake Tree and Landscaping ServicesClub Sponsor - Tom Graves Commercial Property Agency
Sat 06
First Team
Whitstable Town
T Graves (14'), K Pogue (72')
N Treadwell (26')
Heath take another step towards playoffs

Heath take another step towards playoffs

By Stuart Morgan
Share via

Kenny Pogue scores his first Heath goal to seal 3 valuable points at Hanbury

A depleted Heath squad missing Nathan Cooper, Josh Heyburn, Sean Roddy and Trevor McCreadie responded well to last weeks defeat against a organised Whitstable side who took all three points from league leaders Cray Wanderers last week.

With Nathan Cooper away Byron Napper pulled on the armband to no doubt add the calming influence needed after last week.

Heath started brightly after last weeks disappointing result away at VCD and took an early lead through Tom Graves on 14 minutes who met Callum Saunders flighted cross perfectly to head the home side into the lead.

The visitors soon found a rhythm and from a quick break won a corner, the ball in was mis-judged by keeper Ant Ender and Nick Treadwell headed powerfully home to tie up the match with 26 minutes played.

Heath were luck on 32 minutes went the Whitstable striker got to the ball ahead of Ant Ender the ball bounced and hit the crossbar but play brought back for the foul committed by Ender of which he received a yellow card as he was at least trying to win the ball as he caught the man.

The rest of the half saw both side try hard but neither created anything testing for the keepers as the half ended all level.

Half Time - Heath 1-1 Whitstable Town

Heath were forced into a half time change as Josh Spinks was unable to continue it meant Karly Akehurst dropped into centre half along side Tom Graves and Jamie Weston came on into the middle of the park.

The second half saw Heath come out of the blocks well but the first chance of the half came the visitors way with an effort from distance going narrowly wide of Enders right hand post.

Heath pressed on and a great move on the left saw Cameron Tutt find Alex Laing but his effort dragged wide. George Landias then fired wide for Heath after being found by the inventive Alex Laing before being replaced on the hour by Omar Folkes.

With 72 minutes on the clock Kenny Pogue’s work rate and endeavour finally paid off when substitute Omar Folkes held the ball up brilliantly before crossing the ball that saw Pogue out jump his marker and planted his header firmly past the diving Dan Eason. Fully credit to Folkes who has waited his time patiently at Heath getting himself fitter by the week and never fails when called upon, the movement, hold up and then delivery were spot on for the goal and minutes later his quick feet gave him the space to get a strike in that needed a fine block from the covering defender.

Heath almost made the game safe with a little over 10 minutes remaining in spectacular style as Alex Laing struck the ball from 30 yards that beat the keeper but cannoned off the post. Laing had reverted back to a more forward position today and looked a lively threat throughout the match and a goal would have been well deserved.

Whitstable upped the pressure in the final minutes putting Heath under pressure in their box but Heath held firm with Tom Graves and Karly Akehurst dominant in the air for an important 3 points that keeps a 6 point gap between Heath and VCD who won away at Ramsgate.

Full Time - Heath 2-1 Whitstable Town

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 06, Apr 2019






South East Division

League position

Haywards Heath Town
Whitstable Town
Kenny Pogue

Player of the match

Kenny Pogue